The other day I was sitting in the backyard with Groom-boy's mama (Grandma). In a few short minutes I managed to bark out a series of commands/reprimands to the short people milling about - typical stuff. It dawned on me, though, how much I've started to sound like that grown-up voice you hear in the Charlie Brown cartoons - the mothers, the teachers, any adult authority figure.
"Mwah mwah mwah mwah mwaaaaaah mwaaaaaah."
Those cartoon folks had it pegged. I'm even tired of listening to myself!
So I thought I'd share with you some typical "Charlie Brown Mwah Mwahs" from our house. These are things you're likely to hear every day, at least once a day and often more:
1. Just a minute.
2. I'm coming.
3. Leave your sister alone.
4. Leave the cats alone.
5. Stop that right now!
6. Do you want to lose your computer privileges?
7. Boys and girls, what happens every time you goof around on the couch?
8. I don't want to have to call the ambulance!
9. D'ya hear me?
10. Stop kissing my butt, you weirdo!
11. How many times do I have to tell you?
12. Do you have to go potty?
13. Come here right now!
14. I don't know.
15. I don't know.
16. I don't know already!
17. No more snacks - it's too close to lunch.
18. No more snacks - it's too close to supper.
19. Boychild! What have I told you about leaving your wet swimming shorts on the hardwood floor?!
20. Do you want me to come in there?
21. Close the door.
22. Open the door.
23. Don't stand there with the fridge open!
24. Don't spill it.
25. Who spilled this?
26. What do you mean you don't like [insert food item] anymore? You liked it a few days ago!
Man, some of these are echoes from my childhood! Gulp.
Okay, now tell me some of yours.