Thursday, January 1, 2009

Now THAT Was a Bit Chilly!

Today, ladies and gentlemen, I did a polar bear plunge. Yes indeedy, I joined 70 or so other folks and jumped into a hole cut into six inches of ice on the mighty Tay River. The air temperature was a frigid -19 Celsius and the water temperature was, well, darned cold! This was all in the name of a good cause - a student archaeology program (see http://www.friendsofmurphyspoint.ca/) with which I am involved.

Completing a polar bear plunge wasn't on my bucket list (which reminds me, I should make a bucket list) as I discussed
here, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. For one thing, it wasn't as hard as childbirth. In fact, I'd say the anticipation of it was the worst part - particularly when you're standing on the ice looking at the hole and the crowd is counting 5...4...3...2...1...



Heading to the hole...


Taking the leap...



I think I now know what swimming through ice cold Jello feels like...


Breathless!



But I came out smiling!


Crazy stuff, I tell ya! Happy New Year!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Cool that you have photos :) I can't believe that Cindy did it too! You are some wild girls!

Betsy said...

Thanks for the great comment on my recent Babes' Blog post over at Momfo. I am so a candidate for the Polar bear plunge. I take pride in my affinity for cold water. I wonder if that would cure me.

Christine said...

Catching up on your posts! All great reads. Love your work. I am going to post your blog on mine sometime this week. The instructions for doing so seem pretty simple, I think.