Thursday, October 18, 2007

A blog?

So. A blog. Yep. Excellent idea. This from the girl who constantly wrings her hands and moans incessently about having "no time" for anything - like getting work done or cleaning the house or doing clever things with the children. Not necessarily in that order.


Why have I decided to set up a blog? I think, in part, it is because of some secret, er, not-so-secret compulsion I used to have about reading my own diary entries in public.


I don't ever remember a time when I wasn't writing something. Short stories, long stories and now, of course, a whole range of exciting and not-exciting things for which I get paid. Yay! One constant, at least until a few years ago, was a journal. I was always writing in a diary or journal, especially through high school and university. I sometimes felt compelled to share a journal entry with a friend, and every time I would think to myself, "Why did I do that? Those were my private thoughts" and I would feel some weird sense of self-betrayal.


Well, those days are over, largely because there is no time to write in a journal. I have two young children, a flock of pets and a groom-boy (that's the hubbie), so I don't actually have private thoughts anymore because I can't hear myself think. So why not do a blog, then? Of course! It's the only thing that makes sense.


For anyone who follows along, it'll be a meandering journey through daily life - footnotes on the actual events that shape my day or my week or however often I do this. I'm looking forward to writing these footnotes for another reason - I've been wanting an outlet for some pent-up creativity, and since I can't quite shoehorn the writing of the Great Canadian Novel (TM) into my daily routine just yet, at least I might be able to commit to a few sentences every other day or so.


Let's just see how it works out. If this goes well, maybe a diet and some exercise will be my next major project.

-30-

No comments: