Thursday, January 3, 2008

The Emergency Song

So you know the scene in The Wizard of Oz when Dorothy et. al. emerge from the poppy field and skip up to the gates of the Emerald City? Well, there's this song in the background as they approach this promised land called "Optimistic Voices" (click here and scroll to #39 to hear it). I haven't seen the movie for a good long time (years), but for some reason this song is going through my head and it has been for weeks. I didn't even know until recently what it was called. Here are the lyrics:

You're out of the woods,
You're out of the dark,
You're out of the night.
Step into the sun,
Step into the light.
Keep straight ahead for the most glorious place
On the face of the Earth or the sky.
Hold onto your breath,
Hold onto your heart,
Hold onto your hope.
March up to the gate and bid it open.

There are definitely worse things. Better this than the Death March or the theme song from Barney and Friends or some such thing, right?

Anyway, out of the blue one day I start la-la-la-ing this song in the kitchen because it's going through my head and I hadn't gotten around to Googling the words yet. Spontaneous outbursts start to happen frequently, in fact. Boychild/Vern (I swear I will settle on a pseudonym for him soon) starts asking about it as he hears it more frequently. He decides it is my "emergency song."

I hadn't noticed I was singing it when stressed or anything, but it's quite possible he had. Now whenever I burst forth with ye olde "Optimistic Voices" song, which can be several times daily, Vern asks, "What's the emergency, Mom?" (Usually there isn't one, but it's good to keep people on their toes, right?)

When I finally got around to looking up the lyrics - not to mention the title, I found his assessment to be quite ironic/compelling. I'm thinking of making it my theme song. We should all have a theme song, I suppose.

No comments: