Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Aw, Shuck.

Well I'll be a monkey's chicken butt. In my last post about my kids and their swearing I forgot to tell you one of the best ones.

Boychild, in all his gosh-golly six-year-old sweetness, has a habit of saying "shucks" when something doesn't work right or go well, except he says "shuck" instead of "shucks."

Nothing wrong with that, right? We've all shucked corn before, yum yum, and it's not nearly as foul - or even fowl - as poop or chicken butts.

Well, just don't try to correct this mispronunciation because there's a darned good chance your little family will be driving along in the van with the adults saying over and over "No, Boychild, it's shucks...shucks" and the boy saying over and over "shuck...shuck..." and, eventually, instead of adding an "s" on the end he will inadvertently replace the lead consonant with an entirely different letter and, well, that's a whole other kettle of fish, now isn't it?

I can't believe I forgot to tell you that.

No comments: